Valley Christian School
2526 Sunset Lane
Missoula, MT 59804
Valley Christian School exists to partner with Christian families who desire educational excellence taught through a biblical worldview so their children will be prepared for a lifetime of authentic faithfulness to Jesus Christ.
Valley Christian School is located at 2526 Sunset Lane, nestled in beautiful Missoula, MT. VCS is just blocks away from grocery stores, the mall, and one of the main streets in Missoula. It neighbors with homes and parks. The school spreads over two blocks and is contained in three buildings. There is a playground for the elementary and a practice field for the athletes.
Missoula is home to the University of Montana, which encapsulates a diversified university culture. Missoula is a great starting point for skiing, hiking, snowboarding, water sports, river play, hunting, fishing, and many more outdoor sports. The city is home to Fort Missoula, now turned into a museum and memorial of WWII.
Currently celebrating our 40th year of operation, Valley Christian School was founded in 1979 by men who believed that Christ would be preeminent and the Bible would be the standard by which all experiences are evaluated. VCS is an interdenominational, non-profit corporation. The Parent Teacher Fellowship (PTF) meets monthly to pray and discuss ways to raise funds to meet teachers’ needs and the needs of the school.
Accreditation and Testing
Valley Christian School is accredited through the Montana Office of Public Instruction (OPI), the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), and AdvanEd. VCS meets all requirements for graduation. VCS uses TerraNova testing as a school-wide assessment tool for K-8 students. The high school participates in the following tests: PSAT, ACT, ASVAB, MontCAS/CRT, and all AP tests as required in order to complete courses.
VCS CEEB Code: 270631
Valley Christian School offers a variety of classes designed to engage students’ interests as well as expand their knowledge base. Courses offered include Art, Band, Musical, Woodworking, Welding, Yearbook/Graphic Arts, and more. AP classes offered include Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, and English Language & Composition. Bible is a part of the daily curriculum for all students, and it is also incorporated into each subject. Grades are given based on a 4.0 grading scale.
Field trips are an integral part of our elementary program. The Junior high school students participate in a Science Fair, Spelling Bee, and fundraising events. High school students attend the College Fair at the UM campus, produce a High School Musical, and participate in class leadership activities.
Valley Christian School offers two tracks for graduation: the Core track and the Honors track.
Core Program Honor’s Program
Bible – 4 credits Bible – 4 credits
English – 4 credits English – 4 credits
Math – 3 credits (Including Financial Math) Math – 4 credits (Including Pre-Calculus)
History – 3 credits History – 3 credits
Science – 2 credits Science – 3 credits
Business Tech – 1 credit Business Tech – 1 credit
Health/PE – 1 credit Health/PE – 1 credit
Fine Arts – 1 credit Fine Arts – 2 credits
Electives – 7 credits Foreign Language – 2 credits
-Total of 26 credits Financial Math – 1 credit
Electives – 3 credits
- Total of 28 credits
VCS offers a variety of sports throughout the year including football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, tennis, and track. As a member of the Montana High School Association (MHSA), students are able to compete at the highest level of competition in the state. VCS is also a member of District 13-C, which is part of the Western C Division. Achievements through the athletic program include:
- 8 Montana State Championships
- 7 District (League) Championships
- 16 Divisional Championships
Faculty, Staff, and Directors
Dave Entwistle – Head of School
Jon Hawkins – JH/HS Principal
Cheryl Nurse – Elementary Principal
Mike Harkin – Assistant Principal for Teacher Professional Development
Healey Apted – Guidance Counselor
Keaton Surratt – Maintenance/Facilities/IT Director
Lynnette Sims – Business Office Manager
Sherry Cabrera – Admissions Director
Shannon Painter – Development Director
Gary Fritz – Athletic Director
High school faculty members are state certified. Each teacher of the school either has or is in the process of obtaining his or her ACSI teacher certification. Four high school faculty members are authorized to teach AP classes. Our faculty and staff are trained in first-aid and receive continuous training throughout the school year at in-service meetings.
Valley Christian School currently enrolls 279 students. (as of October 2018)
Preschool – 35
Kindergarten – 24
Elementary (Grades 1-6) – 130
Junior High (Grades 7-8) – 30
High School (Grades 9-12) – 60
Students attend over 50 different churches in the area. Interdenominational chapel services are held weekly on campus for students and staff. Since the first graduating class in 1986, there have been over 700 graduates.VCS students have won various scholarships including the DAR Good Citizen Scholarship, as well as turning out a National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the entire Bible to be inspired, the only infallible, authoritative, Word of God for faith and life.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His Virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return to power and glory.
- We believe that man was originally created in the image of God, that he fell into sin through the first Adam and that he is responsible for all sin that he has committed. Because of sin, all mankind is separated from God and lost eternally apart from salvation through Jesus Christ.
- We believe that for salvation of lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe that the Church is the body of Christ, a spiritual organism of born again believers displaying spiritual unity under the headship of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female, and that these two distinct, complimentary genders together reflect the image and nature of God.
- We believe that God created marriage to be exclusively the union of one man and one woman, and that intimate sexual activity is to occur exclusively within that union.
- We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death.